Statewide Severe Weather Warning for Wednesday
|This article has been updated to reflect the Severe Weather Warning update released at 10:31 pm Tuesday night.
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a Severe Weather Warning for Damaging Winds and Heavy Rainfall for the state of Victoria for Wednesday 12th June 2019.
A rain band with associated strong winds is expected to cross the state during Wednesday.
Damaging winds, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts of around 100 km/h are possible in the west of the State from early Wednesday morning, mainly in elevated areas. During Wednesday morning, wind gusts will increase to 100-110 km/h in central Victoria, again mainly in elevated areas, and up to 120 km/h about the northeast Alps. There is lesser chance of wind gusts to 100 km/h in areas less than 1200m.The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 5:00 am AEST Wednesday.
Winds are expected to gradually ease from the west during Wednesday afternoon.
Thunderstorms with heavy rain which may lead to flash flooding are possible early Wednesday morning in the Wimmera and southern Mallee Districts.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move vehicles under cover or away from trees;
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony;
- Keep clear of fallen power lines;
- Don’t walk, ride or drive through flood water;
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains;
- Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks;
- Be alert that in areas recently affected by fires, heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
ADVERTISEMENT - WIMMERA CMA
Thank you to our local business sponsors.